Switzerland is a landlocked country in Central Europe. It lies astride the Alps Mountain Ranges.
It has been a great tourist nation since the 18th Century.
Major Tourist Attractions in Switzerland
The Swiss landscape comprises of many mountains with smooth slopes and valleys e.g. the Alps.
These attract tourists interested in mountain climbing, sight-seeing and in winter sports e.g. skiing.
Other features that are related to the mountains include the hanging valleys and waterfalls that are of scenic beauty to tourists.
Swiss National Park
Switzerland has a big national park with varied plant and animal species that attract tourists.
There are several glaciated lakes with clear blue waters that are beautiful to see and popular for sport fishing, sailing and swimming.
Variety of climate
Switzerland experiences both winter and summer climates that facilitate various activities that the tourists can participate in e.g. mountain climbing, sport fishing and swimming during summer and skating & skiing in winter.
These are mineral springs that people consider to cure certain ailments.
Also, the varied climate is conducive for people suffering from certain diseases hence popular for tourists.
Hike & Bike facilities
Swiss has a unique network of hiking trails covering the whole country with paths that are well marked and maintained.
These are found in the lowlands and within the mountains also.
There are also trails for mountain biking, golfing and river rafting.
Switzerland has well-developed industries and well-developed infrastructure
some people visit the country to witness the industrial development that has taken place.
the following are Significance of tourism to Switzerland
- Earns the country foreign exchange which is used to finance development.
- The country earns revenue through taxation and direct fee collection.
- Creates employment in both Switzerland.
- It has encouraged development of other industries e.g. banking, insurance and transport.
- Has opened up unproductive areas for development e.g. glaciated landscapes.
- Switzerland has gained good international reputation and fame through tourism
Effects of Tourism in Switzerland
- Foreign Exchange earning
- Local revenue
- Source of employment
- Promotion of diplomacy/international relations
- Environmental conservation
Mountain landscape limit expansion