Uses of Sugar
- In baking to sweeten bread, cakes, etc.
- Sweetening foods and drinks e.g. porridge, chapati, tea, coffee, etc.
- Making local brews e.g. Karubu, nguru, etc.
- In soft drinks industries e.g. soda, juice, etc.
- Making sweets and chocolates, etc.
- Manufacture of drugs e.g. syrups and sugar-coated tablets.
Uses of By-products
- Molasses is used as a sweetener for livestock feeds.
- Its also used to manufacture ethanol, acetone, and ethyl-acetate.
- Bagasse or fibre left after squeezing the juice is used as fuel for boilers, for preparing pulp for making paper used for making cement and fertilizer bags and as fodder or manure.
- Filter cake resulting from the filtration process is used as manure for the cane.