The following are reasons why devolved governments were established in Kenya.
- They were established as a means of promoting democratic and accountable exercise of power.
- To Foster national unity by recognizing diversity.
- To give powers of self-governance to the people and enhance the participation of the people in the exercise of the powers of the State and in making decisions affecting them.
- To recognize the right of communities to manage their own affairs and to further their development.
- To protect and promote the interests and rights of minorities and marginalized communities.
- To promote social and economic development and the provision of services throughout Kenya.
- To ensure equitable sharing of national and local resources throughout Kenya.
- To facilitate the decentralization of State organs, their functions and services, from the capital of Kenya;
- To enhance checks, balances and the separation of powers.