- Pack animals can be used in largely inaccessible areas. The Llama, for example, is used in mountainous areas with narrow and meandering paths and steep cliffs. The camel is well adapted for deserts.
- Animals are cheap to maintain. They attract very little maintenance costs since only feeding costs are incurred.
- Pack animals are safe as accidents are rare probably because they do not speed..
- Animals help to maintain the ecological balance since they do not interfere with the environment.
- Pack animals are capable of sensing danger. For example, horses and dogs can sniff out an enemy from a distance. This enhances security as dangerous confrontations with an enemy can easily be avoided.