The following are Factors favoring high population growth rate in Africa:
- Limited use of family planning methods.
- Many people don’t use family planning methods that’s why end up with many children. This leads to high population growth rate.
- Decrease in death rate: There is improvement in the general levels of living, improvement in level of education of people, and improvement in the health services with increase in the number of hospitals, dispensaries and health centers, increase on the number of Doctors and nurses and other health personnel hence decrease in death rate leading to rapid growth of population.
- Old-age insurance: Children are considered as insurance for a good life in old ages by their parents, for that they produce more children in order to insure themselves.
- High infant mortality rate: Parents produce many children in Africa because of not being sure of the number of children who can survive. To avoid unwanted surprises they produce more, some die and other survive.
- Cultural believes for large families: Children are sources of prestige in some societies. Many people produce many children for prestigious reasons.
- Early marriage: Women marry at a younger age leading to a longer fertility period and more children are produced leading to rapid growth of population.
- Religion. Some religions preach to people not to use family planning methods to avoid unwanted pregnancies. Not using family planning results into unwanted pregnancies that lead to rapid growth of population.
causes of high death rate in Africa:
- Insufficient health facilities like hospitals, health centers and dispensaries with enough care
- There is rapid increase in population but social services and infrastructures have not increased to match the population growth
- Political instability and insecurity. Many countries of Africa are engaged into war and insecurity is common in those countries hence loss of lives which lead to decrease on the number of population. Example of some countries of Africa includes Sudan, DRCongo, Maghreb, etc.
- Low levels of Immunization. Children get infected with infant killer diseases leading to increase in the death rate of young children.
- Poverty, Many people die because cannot afford to buy requirements of life like drugs and food. The cost of life is high than the revenue of many African people living under poverty.
- Ignorance. Lack of enough information on health care like reproductive health that leads to death of many people.