Industries in New York are categorized into two:
(i) Light Industries
(ii) Heavy industries
(i) Light Industries in New York include textiles and clothing, printing and publishing industry, food processing industry. Many of these industries are found in Manhattan Island.
(ii) Heavy industries include chemical, Oil refineries, ship building and repair, railway workshop, copper smelters etc. These industries are common in Newark and Jersey cities.
CHARACTERISTICS OF HEAVY INDUSTRIES IN NEW YORK CITY
- They are capital intensive
- They use a lot of power
- They operate on large scale
- They employ very many people
- They use metallic raw material e.g. Iron ore
- They produce a lot of waste products etc.