Baptism is conducted differently in various Christian sects or denominations as given below:
1. Among the Pentecostals and Seventh Day Adventists, baptism is for only the adults who have decided for themselves to follow Jesus Christ as their personal Lord and savior.
2. Among the Pentecostals and SDAs the candidate is completely immersed into water e.g. in rivers, swamps, lakes and swimming pools.
3. Among the Catholics and Anglicans, infants are baptized by sprinkling water on the forehead.
4. In the Catholic Church, the candidates should have God parents to guide them and make them grow in Christian principles.
5. A religious leader presides over the baptism ceremony e.g. a pastor, reverend, priest or a bishop.
6. During baptism, Christians invoke the Holy Spirit to come upon believers and those being baptized by singing songs of praise and worship.
7. In the Catholic Church, the candidate is given a white cloth to show that he/she has become purified.
8. In the Catholic Church, the candidate is given a candle to show that he/she has become the light to the world.
9. In the Catholic Church, the candidate is rubbed with olive oil on the forehead.
10. In the Anglican Church, the candidate is baptized on the entrance of the Church and then after he/ she enters the church to show that he has now become a member of the church.
11. In the Catholic Church, the parents of the child and the god parents undergo training of how best they can bring up the child in a religious life.
12. In many Churches, the baptism card or certificate is given to the baptized person afterwards.
13. The members of the Church celebrate through singing, clapping hands to welcome the baptized into the Christian community.
14. Some people in the Catholic Church after baptizing their children, they give offertories as thanksgiving to God.
15. In the Catholic Church, the baptized person is given a rosary or a Catholic medal.
16. Prayers are normally conducted where religious leaders lead other Christians in praying for the candidate.
17. In the Catholic Church, the parents of the child and the God parent publicly rejects Satan before baptism takes place.18. In the Catholic Church, the baptized person is given a name in line with the Catholic saints e.g. Peter, Paul.