- It denies the customers the freedom to practice their bargaining skills.
- It does not allow physical contact between the sellers and buyers hence the sellers cant know the consumers opinions.
- It may force the customers to buy what they might have not budgeted for due to the attractive display of the products.
- It may attract unfaithful customers who end up pick-pocketing some small items.
- It reduces the number of customers due to the absence of credit facilities.
- It is a costly system as it requires much capital to install shelves and stocking a variety of goods.
- It involves too much time wasted in ques especially at the checking points and at the cashiers desk.
- It may encourage the customers to spend too much time in the shop while comparing the various brands.