- The availability of large quantities of coal.
- Availability of different types of coal e.g. bituminous
- The coal is easy to mine since great depths are not involved especially in the exposed part.
- Access to cheap water transport e.g. the Ruhr and Lippe rivers linking to the Rhine river.
These enable large quantities of coal to be mined cheaply.
- Availability of large market for coal especially from the established industries.
- High level of technology used in the mining operations
- Availability of skilled labour
- Availability of capital from the well established banks and financial institutions.