Eduardo Mondlane established FRELIMO in 1962 as a merger of different movements to include MANU, COREMO operating in exile.
The roles of Mondlane included;
- He formed FRELIMO in 1962 in exile in Dar-es-Salaam that helped Mozambique attain independence.
- Mondlane set up external bases in Tanzania, Malawi and Zambia and these launched attacks on the Portuguese.
- Internal bases were also established by Mondlane. These operated in Mueda where posts of military were installed by the Africans.
- Mondlane gave the needed able leadership in Mozambique. This was very critical from 1964 up to 1969 when he was assassinated.
- Eduardo launched an armed struggle against the Portuguese in 1964.
- He mobilized and recruited the freedom fighters in Mozambique, trained them in guerrilla warfare leading to independence.
- Mondlane solicited assistance from the UNO.
- Mondlane appealed for support from the OAU.
- Mondlane united the people of Mozambique. These included tribes like Makonde, Makua, Nyanja and Tsonga.
- Eduardo mobilized the working class and the business community to render support to the cause of Mozambique independence.
- Mondlane enlisted women in the Liberation struggle.
- Mondlane held negotiations with the socialist Portuguese government of Antonio Despinola which consequently yield independence.