FRELIMO was formed by a group of disgruntled intellectuals and politicians in 1962 in Dar-essalaam. It was led by Eduardo Chivambo Mondlane assisted by Simango.
The roles of FRELIMO included the following;
- FRELIMO launched an armed struggle against the Portuguese in 1964 and this
contributed to eventual independence in 1975.
- FRELIMO set up external bases in Tanzania at Bagamoyo. The freedom fighters were
allowed to train hence attacking the Portuguese.
- FRELIMO recruited freedom fighters massively, and trained them in guerrilla warfare tactics.
- FRELIMO sensitized and mobilized the nationals who responded by giving full support to the struggle.
- FRELIMO managed to set up internal liberated zones in Niassa and Ntete. These were
used to launch attacks on the Portuguese and had reforms established.
- FRELIMO provided able and charismatic leadership under Mondlane that worked against the Portuguese colonial bondage.
- FRELIMO won the support of communist countries like China, the Soviet Union etc.
These gave training, and financial and extended educational scholarships to freedom fighters.
- FRELIMO weakened ethnicity in Mozambique. It united the tribes of Makua, Nyanja and the famous Makonde leading to success.
- The party appealed for assistance and recognition from the United Nations (UNO). The UN responded by condemning Portugal and imposing sanctions.
- FRELIMO sought for support from OAU which used its Liberations Committee to support the freedom fighters.
- FRELIMO went into the alliance with MPLA and PAIGC to form CONCP.
- FRELIMO scored military success against the Portuguese. This included the killing of
Portuguese soldiers and destruction of planes at Mueda leading to success.
- FRELIMO recruited women in Liberation struggles. These provided espionage and
served as cooks and nurses.
- The movement held discussions with the socialist government of Antonio of Portugal, hence securing independence on 25th June 1975.
- FRELIMO under Samora Machel received the instruments of power from the Portuguese in 1975 and set up a black led government.
- FRELIMO established a refugee camp across River Ruvuma and this helped to contain the suffering Africans.