- To strengthen political ties between the three countries
- To promote balanced regional economic development
- To promote the adoption of a common currency that would ease commercial transactions.
- To ease the mobility of resources, goods and services and eliminate restrictions.
- To promote trade among the member states.
- To expand the market for the goods produced in the region
- To reduce the duplication of goods and services among the member states.
- To foster cooperation and unity among the East African states
- To mobilize financial support from international organizations and fight neo –
- To safeguard the sovereignty and territorial integrity of East African states