- Man could no longer depend on nature –wind for power. This made travel by sea easier and more comfortable.
- It led to expansion of international trade since transportation became cheap.
- Bigger volumes and varieties of goods could be carried including those that required special handling like petrol.
- It formed the basis for colonization as colonizers could move to other continents easily.
- It increased international migrations and spread of races , cultures, diseases , intermarriages, languages and religion
- It led to greater expansion of geographical knowledge. It gave access to countries bordered by sea.
- It led to expansion of world economies, industries, trade and commerce.
- Spread of plants and animals internationally