- technological development during the scientific age which enabled man to invent machines which could be used to manufacture various parts of cars , rails, airplanes, ships and motor boats.
- Expansion of geographical knowledge encouraged the development of transport so as to enable man to search new places faster and more safely.
- Introduction of specialization as a means of production which necessitated exchange o goods and services which could only be made possible through development of transport and communication.
- Population increase hence demands for more food and goods hence the need for essential transport system.
- In order to satisfy the desires of man there was need to develop a system of transport that would enable man to get the goods and services he needed so much.