- There was Communication barrier due to lack of a common language for transactions. This was a challenge during the pioneer years.
- Traveling long distances for many months, usually upto three months, across the desert was tedious and stressful.
- Traveling under extreme weather conditions; too hot during the day and too cold at night.
- Scarcity of water and food during the journeys. The traders suffered serious sickness due to such extreme weather variations.
- There were constant Attacks by hostile communities who sometimes robbed them of their merchandize.
- Traders were sometimes attacked by insects like scorpions and wild animals.
- The traders sometimes suffered from Loss of direction due to the vastness of the desert.
- Exposure to frequent sandstorms which killed many traders.
- Sometimes wars between kingdoms disrupted trade.