TERMS OF THE NATIONAL CONVENTION
- The Queen of England was to be the overall head of the union.
- The union government was to be headed by the Governor General appointed by the Queen of England.
- An elected Prime Minister was to assist the Governor General
- It was made clear that the union government was to be under the British government but the Boers were given subordinate (lower) positions.
- The governor was to be assisted by ten ministers.
- The executive capital of the Union was to be located in Pretoria; capital Transvaal.
- The four colonies were to become provinces of the union of South Africa.
- One union parliament was to be established to discuss the political issues of South Africa. However, non – whites were excluded from this parliament.
- The parliament was to have two chambers that is the house of assembly and the senate.
- The senate members were to serve for only 10 years while members of the assembly 5 years.
- The cape was to be a parliament city while he Supreme Court for the union was to be established with headquarters at Bloemfontein in Orange Free State.
- Pretoria the capital of Transvaal was to become the executive capital.
- The Orange River Colony was to be changed to Orange Free State.
- Africans were not to seat in the union parliament and were to be made second class citizens in south Africa
- A unitary form of government was to be was to be established in the union.
- Rich and educated non – whites in the Cape Province were to be allowed to vote but parliamentary representation of cape was reserved for whites only.
- English and Afrikaans were to be equal in South Africa as official languages
- The British and the Boers were to become equal in the new union.