Phosphorous is absorbed in form of phosphate ions.
Uses of phosphorous
- It is important for flowering and fruiting in plants
- It encourages formation of plant roots.
- It is important in Amino acid formation, cell division and photosynthesis.
- It improves the quality of forage and cereal crops.
Deficiency symptoms of phosphorous
- Leaves develop purple green colour and fall off prematurely.
- Cereals crops lodge/fall
- Poor branching in stems and roots
- Axillary buds fail to grow stunted growth.
- Tuber crops like Irish potato are small and few