The Governor is the chief executive officer of the county. The Executive Branch of government, headed by the Governor, includes executive departments and advisory boards.
- The Governor is the Chairman of county executive committee.
- he/ she is in charge of implementing , within the county, national legislation to the extent that the legislation so requires;
- He ensures, through the county executive committee, the implementation of county legislation.
- He manages and coordinates the functions of the county administration and its departments.
- He provides the county assembly with full and regular reports on matters relating to the county.
- He appoints with the approval of the assembly members, members to the county executive committee.
- He ensures that Members of a county executive committee perform their functions and exercise of their powers fully.
- He handles on behalf of the county, all external affairs with other counties in consultation with the central government. (Excluding any which have been delegated to cabinet secretaries.).
- The Governor prepares and submits a budget of the county for the following fiscal year.
- He sets the terms and conditions of service of persons holding or acting in public offices in the county.
- By virtue of his office, the Governor serves on certain boards and special commissions in the county. The Governor chairs the Board of Public Works.