The effects of agricultural activities on the environment in the Sikiang river basin are both positive as explained below.
- Foreign exchange is earned from the export of agricultural products which is used to develop other sectors.
- The farmers get income from the sale of their products which has improved on their living standards.
- Agriculture has encouraged food production from the farms ensuring food security in china, particularly the Pearl River basin.
- People have acquired employment opportunities from the agricultural farms such as transporters and farmers earning them income used to improve on their living standards.
- It has encouraged economic diversification through crop growing which offers an alternative
- sources of domestic revenue to reduce over dependence.
- It has generated government revenue through taxes and license collected out of agricultural activities which is used for development.
- Agriculture has encouraged industrial development through the establishment of agrobased industries which employ a considerable number of people.
- Agricultural activities have promoted urbanization and development of towns such as
- Canton and Litang with their associated urban benefits.
- Agriculture has led to development of international relations between china and her trading partners such as USA and UK hence boasting international trade and inflow of foreign aid.
- It has led to the development of infrastructure, particularly roads, which improve on transportation of goods and services in the country.
- Agriculture has provided market for the various agricultural inputs such as pesticides, fertilizers and improved seeds.