It is also the concentration of hydrogen ions in the soil.
IMPORTANCE OF SOIL PH
- PH determines what type of crop to grow in a particular soil e.g. – Arabica coffee and Tea do well in Acidic soils, legumes do well in Alkaline.
- PH influences the availability of plant Nutrients e.g. – At high PH Potassium becomes unavailable.
- At low PH phosphorus becomes unavailable
- Some plant diseases are more pronounced in soils with low PH e.g. fungal diseases.
- Nitrogen-fixing bacteria prefer a PH of 5.5 – 8 , Low/high PH will affect the activities of these bacteria