Soil fertility refers to the ability of the soil to support the growth of plants by supplying all plants nutrients, water, and air in a sufficient and balanced ratio.
HOW TO IMPROVE / OR MAINTAIN SOIL FERTILITY
- Through fertilizer application and organic manure which add nutrients that have been lost.
- By mulching in order to maintain soil moisture and control erosion
- By improving the drainage
- By lming in order to improve soil PH
- By carrying out irrigation to dilute salts
- Through crop rotation
- Through Bush fallowing
- Through intercropping
- By sub soiling in order to break the soil hard pans and improve root penetration.