River Sikiang(Pearl River) flows into the South China Sea with tributaries like Tongkiang, Youjang.
It is a great farming area in china with great potential of cultivable land and abundant fresh water for irrigation. The major types of farming, dairy and mixed farming.
FACTORS FAVOURING AGRICULTURE IN THE SIKIANG/PEARL RIVER BASIN.
- Presence of fertile alluvial soils which support the growth of a variety of crops and pastures.
- The warm sunny summer conditions ideal for the ripening of the crops especially the fruits.
- The 220 frost free days in the region which increase the period of the growing season hence promoting outdoor grazing.
- The heavy rainfall connected with the monsoon months from May to October which boosts growth of crops and pastures.
- Existence of rivers such as Sikiang that provide water for irrigation hence favoring allyear- round cultivation.
- Presence of a gently sloping landscape which encourages mechanization and irrigation farming.
- Land redamation has expanded the area for agricultural activities in the Sikiangbasin.
- The well- developed transport network of roads, railways and canals to transport network of roads, railways and canals to transport agricultural products to the market.
- Availability of appropriate technology such as the use of ploughs and canals which increase production.
- Extensive research which has promoted production of improved varieties of crops in the region.
- Availability of a wide market for the agricultural products provided by the large home
- population and abroad hence encouraging production.
- There is abundant cheap skilled and semiskilled labor to work on the farms.
- Availability of large sums of capital to invest in agricultural activities through purchase machinery and payment of workers.
- The favorable government policy geared towards expanding the agriculture sector in order to create self-sufficiency in the food needs of china.
- The development of agro based industries that consume agriculture raw materials which further encourage farming activities.