Seed selection is the choosing of good quality seeds/ sorting out of good quality seed for planting.
characteristics/qualities of a good seed for planting
- They should be uniform in shape, colour and size
- They should be from a variety which is resistant to pests and diseases
- Should be from variety resistant to physical damages
- Should be wholesome ie not broken or not having any physical defect
- Should be from variety which is early maturing
- Should be from variety which is high yielding
- Should be from variety that is used to local environment conditions such as temperature, moisture
- Should have long shelf life i.e. longevity
- Should be viable/high viability i.e. ability of a seed to germinate.
- Should be large in size i.e. this means that it has a large embryo to store a lot of food reserves.
- Should be of desirable genetic make up
- Should be pure and clean i.e. without trash, and foreign materials, and not mixed with other varieties.