Natural gas is a flammable gas, consisting largely of methane and other hydrocarbons, occurring naturally underground (often in association with petroleum) and used as fuel.
The following are advantages of natural gas production in NORWAY
- Natural gas production is the source of employment for the people of NORWAY. This enables them to earn income and improve their living standard.
- By creating employment opportunities, this industry reduces the problem of migration of the youth to urban areas
- Apart from the usual domestic and commercial heating, natural gas has been put to use in the production of low-cost electricity. This means that the people of NORWAY can access cheap electricity
- The improved supply of natural gas and electricity provides power to run machinery and therefore promotes the development of industries. This promotes the economy of the country
- The production of natural gas generates revenue for the government through taxes. This revenue is used to improve infrastructure in the gas production areas and the rest of the country.
- Natural gas is less expensive compared to other fossil fuels therefore it saves a ton of money when importing them.
- Gas is the cleanest-burning hydrocarbon, producing around half the carbon dioxide (CO2) and just one tenth of the air pollutants of coal when burnt to generate electricity. There is enormous potential to reduce near-term CO2 emissions and air pollution by using gas instead of coal