Intercropping is the type of farming where more than one crop is planted on the same piece of land at the same time
ADVANTAGES OF INTERCROPPING
- Total yields of crops per unit area are higher because the farmer gets a product from each of crop.
- Soil erosion is reduced since there’s a good crop cover over soil surface.
- Farmer cannot totally fail to get yield because if one crop fails, a farmer gets yields from another one.
- Crops especially legumes fix nitrogen to the soil which improves soil fertility.
- It enables a farmer to obtain high yields
- Farmer gets a balanced diet from all the crops e.g. carbohydrates, proteins
- Weeds are suppressed since little space is left between various crops
- If one of the crop is shallow rooted and the other is deep rooted, nutrients area well utilized by both crops.