The Portuguese were the first Christian missionaries to come to Kenya. However, long-established Islamic culture and religion overwhelmed their efforts.
The 19th century Revival Movement in Britain and western Europe inspired missionaries to go out to other parts of the world for the end of the world was perceived to be coming soon.
reasons for the coming of missionaries to the east African coast in the 19th century
- To spread Christianity, western education and civilization.
- To counter the spread of Islam, which had taken root in the region.
- To abolish slavery and slave trade and replace it with legitimate trade.
- To explore the region. Missionaries like Ludwig Krapf and Johann Rebmann were the first Europeans to sight and explore mount Kenya and mount Kilimanjaro respectively.
- The emergence of missionary societies in Western Europe, which competed to send their members out to Africa.
- Adventure, for some desired to be the first to unravel the much that was unknown to the outside about Africa.