The following are measures taken to improve the health sector in postcolonial Kenya.
- The ministry of health was created to oversee health matters.
- Expansion of health facilities through harambee and donor funds e.g. Nyanza Provincial hospital (Russian Hospital)
- Many health training institutions were started e.g. Medical training colleges
- Improvement in hygiene through provision of piped water.
- Establishment of several research institutions on human diseases e.g. KEMRI
- Provision of more basic education in order to uplift hygiene standards in the society.
- Provision of free anti-retroviral and anti-malaria drugs.