Local farming systems in Uganda are due to climate of an area. Basing on this, they include;
- Banana coffee system
- Montane system
- Teso system
- Northern system
- Banana finger millet cotton system
- Pastoral system
- West Nile system
BANANA – COFFEE SYSTEM:
- It is carried out around the fertile regions of Lake Victoria.
- It is characterized by Biomodal rainfall distribution
- Major cash crops include;
- Robusta coffee – Sugar cane
- Tea – Vanilla
Major food crops include;
- Banana – Cassava – Beans
- Sweet Potato – Maize
Characterized by subsistence farming though commercial farming is also done on small scale.
- It is found around the mountainous areas of Kigezi, Sebei, Mbale and Rwenzori
- Soils in these areas are fertile and deep, while others are volcanic.
- Rainfall received is high and Bimodal in distribution.
- Temperature are low due to Altitude being high
- Major cash crops – Arabica coffee.
- Food crops include; Banana, Wheat, Sweet potato, Irish potatoes, Sorghum, Beans
- Contour ploughing and terracing are common methods of soil and water conservation.
- Livestock keeping is also carried out in these areas although it is limited by topography.
- Carried out in Regions of Tororo and Teso districts of Soroti, Kumi, etc.
- Major cash crop is cotton
- Food crop is Millet
- Has flat relief with sandy loam soils
- Large number of cattle are kept
- Ox – plough cultivation is carried out extensively in the region
- Rainfall distribution is monomodal in Nature
THE NORTHERN SYSTEM:
- It is carried out in Lango region in the districts of Lira, Gulu, and Kitgum
- Major cash crops are cotton and Tobacco
- Major food crops being finger millet
- Rain distribution is Monomodal.
- Communal land tenure is practiced.
BANANA FINGER MILLET – COTTON SYSTEM:
- This is carried out in Tororo, Iganga, Hoima, Masindi and Kamuli districts.
- Rain distribution is Bimodal
- Major food crops – Millet, Bananas
- Major cash crops – Tobacco, Cotton
- People in this region keep large herds of cattle
- It is characterized by pastoral tribes such as Karamojong, and Bahima of Ankole
- Large number of cattle and goats of low quality are kept
- Little farming of crops such as Maize, Millet Sorghum is done
- Due to large herds of cattle, there’s overgrazing, bush burning and randommating of livestock
- Occasionally they move with their animal from place to place in search of water and pasture.
WEST NILE SYSTEM:
- It is practiced in districts of Arua, Koboko, Adjumani and Nebbi.
- The rainy season in this region is one and long compared to the Northern system which is short.
- Cash crops grown are Arabica Coffee, Cotton, Tobacco, Orange, Mango
- Food crops include Millet, Simsim, Cassava, Sorghum, Cowpeas,