Harvesting of Oil Palm
Harvested by cutting the base of the bunch using a curved knife tied on a long pole.
The fruits are immediately collected and transported to the factory in lorries.
Processing of Oil from Oil Palm Fruit
- Fruits are removed from the stalk and boiled in metal drums for up to 3 hours.
- They are then put in boat-like containers and pounded using pestles until pericarp becomes pulp.
- The nut and the softened pericarp are then put in a hand press and oil is squeezed out of the pulp.
- The nuts are cracked and oil is squeezed out of kernels for domestic use.
- The method produces very little oil which lacks consistency in quality.
Use of Pioneer Mills
- Bunches are put in tube-like cages with holes all around.
- Then cooked by hot steam to ensure they don,t change into fatty acids.
- Bunches are shaken off stocks using a machine called a stripper.
- Then cooked in digesters.
- The pericarp is separated from the nut.
- It’s pressed to remove the oil.
- The oil is left to settle in tanks so that impurities settle at the bottom.
- The nuts are cracked to remove the kernels using grinders.
- The kernels are pressed to produce oil or may be packed whole and exported.