The following are economic challenges that Democratic Republic Of Congo (D.R.C) faced in 1970’s.
- Corruption and mismanagement of the economy. Mobutu was the richest president in the world while Zairians became the poorest people in the world.
- Inflation due to power struggle and corruption. By 1980, the country’s currency was not worthy the paper on which it was printed.
- There was also a problem of heavy foreign debt. The country was unable to service her debts. By 1980, Zaire had become the world’s third biggest debtor nation.
- There was a standstill in the economic activities and disruption of railway transport due to civil wars in the country and neighbouring Angola.
- The period also witnessed fall in world copper prices and increase in oil prices
- Lack of a sound economic policy