Ahmed Sekou sometimes is called Muhammad Sekou. He was born in 1773AD and he was a founder of Maccina Empire. Sekou was inspired by the recent uprising off Uthuiman Danfordio in Hausa land and he led his followers in the Jihads against the leaders of Bambra Empire and this Jihad was called Maccina Jihad.
In 1845, Sekou conquered Timbukutu and he eventually took over the control of Maccina which he ruled for some good years following the teaching of Islam.
The establishment of theoretic states at Maccina. It is noted that Sekou established this state in 1818 which had lived up to 1862. He over threw the old pagan dynasty of Babra which had suppressed Islam and mistreated the Muslims. This helped in reviving Islam in West Africa.
- Sekou belonged to the Qadiriyah Suffi Orders and for that matter he led to the growth and development of this Brotherhood in Maccina. He did this by emphasizing the doctrines of Qadiriyah Suffi Order in his administration. Many people converted to it and Islam developed.
- Sekou led to the development of Malik School of law in Maccina. It is noted that the Bambala people never had laws to govern them therefore within the creation of Maccina Sekou used the Malik School of law to govern his people thereby leading to the development of Islam.
- He was a champion of educational advancement in Maccina. It is recorded that at a climax of his leadership, Sekou ordered for the construction of 600 Madarasa of Quranic schools which boosted literacy in Maccina and above all he promoted Islamic learning.
- Sekou was too kind and considerate especially to the poor, the weak and the needy. Because of this, he led to the establishment of social welfare system to rehabilitate the orphans and the needy in the society.
- Sekou banned alcohol and all intoxicants never to be sold in Maccina. Therefore no trade was allowed to import any intoxicant in the Empire at the same time he stopped the importation of tobacco which all improved on the spread of Islam.
- Sekou promoted Islam when he appointed Muslims as state officials, morality in Maccina was supervised by the strict state officials who had to inspect everywhere to ensure that alcohol, adultery and fornication were not part of life in Maccina a situation that led to the growth of Islam in West Africa.
- Sekou invited Muslim scholars and researchers to Maccina and by 1862, Maccina was one of the major Centres of Islamic learning in West Africa a situation that led to the progress and development of Islam in West Africa.
- Sekou united the people of the Bambale state with the Fulani under one state of Maccina. He did this through preaching the concept of Brotherhood and equality and this helped them to resist against the French colonialists at a later stage.
- Sekou transformed the animist Bambale Empire into a law a binding state. Law and order among the Bambale people was introduced by use of Sharia as a code of conduct. Because of this, the Empire developed economically, socially and religiously.
- He over relied on tribalism and nepotism to build his state of Maccina. After his death, his son was the only replacement he had trained and recommended to head the Empire and that’s why the Empire collapsed after him.
- He over used the Qadiriya Suffi Order doctrines a Brotherhood that many people in Maccina never wanted therefore those who did not follow the Qadiriya Suffi teachings were not respected and led to the collapse of the Maccina Empire.
- He was among the people who added innovations to Islam e.g.. Sekou always celebrate the New Years Eve, Prophet Muhammad’s birthday / Mauled and he practiced the Suffi innovations on the saint worship and veneration of Tombs.
- Sekou used force to Islamize people which act is un Islamic. It is noted forced some people to join the Qadiriya Suffi Order and non Qadiriya were seen as Pagans. At the same time, during his Jihads, many people were forced to convert to Islam a situation that furnished the image of Islam in West Africa.