Containerization sends cargo in a special metallic box of standard sizes as containers.
Shipping lines generally own containers.
Refrigerated containers are also available
It can also be used when grouping goods of various kinds for transportation.
The following are advantages of containerization
- Quick movement of cargo.
- Faster turn-around of ships at ports.
- Protection of cargo from being damaged.
- Saving on packing cost.
- Lesser chances of cargo being lost.
- Creases speed of goods delivery
- Quick transfer between different forms of transport
- Reduces pilfering