Drip/Trickle irrigation Here water is delivered to the crops using perforated polythene pipes that are laid along side the rows of crops.
Water drips or prickles slowly through the nozzles on pipes and wets the soil around plant roots.
ADVANTAGES OF DRIP IRRIGATION
- Water loss through evaporation is minimized
- Method can work well in both hilly/flat areas
- It uses less amount of water than other types
- Fertilization can easily be done
- It is suitable in areas where there’s water shortages e.g in dry areas.
DISADVANTAGES OF DRIP IRRIGATION
- It is expensive to install
- Nozzles can easily be blocked if dirty water is used
- May not be effective in areas with steep slopes as water is pumped under low pressure