Tourism is the practice of travelling for purpose of either pleasure or curiosity. Tourism involves movement from one area to another within or outside the country.
Top tourists attractions in Zimbabwe include hwange national park, victoria falls, lake Kariba, maana pools national park, and matobo national park
Zimbabwe generates around 66.00 million us dollars in the tourism sector alone
the following are the importance of tourism in zimbabwe
- Zimbabwe has earned foreign exchange in form of invisible export from thousands of tourists who visit the country from Europe, Asia and from other continents due to her tourist potential. Such income has been used to rehabilitate roads, set up heath units, etc.
- The industry has provided employment opportunities to many zimbabweans such as those working in Hotel like Serena, tour and travel agencies, game guides like in victoria falls. This has earned income to workers and thus improved standards of living.
- It has led to the conservation of wildlife of flora and fauna through gazetting and restricting of areas such as national parks and reserved forests. this has helped to modify zimbabwe’s climate by forests and protecting her heritage for future generations.
- Tourism facilitates the development of important infrastructure such as air fields. These have led to the development of zimbabwe.
- It has promoted and reflected the cultural heritage of zimbabwe i.e. historical sites, museums, cultural sites, all protect Uganda’s image abroad.
- Tourism has led to the development of the craft industry and agricultural sector by providing markets to the products of such sectors. This means the provision of more jobs and income from the craft industry thus improved living standards of zimbabweans.
- Tourism has led to diversification of zimbabwe’s economy from over-dependence on the agricultural sector. This has resulted into increased foreign exchange used to set up schools and health centers thus zimbabwe’s development.
- It has improved on the international relationship between zimbabwe and the countries like Norway, Germany and Britain, where tourists come from. This has helped zimbabwe to become politically stable.
- Training of skilled manpower like hotel attendants, game guides, etc.
- Government revenue through taxing tourist transport companies, tourist hotels, etc.
- Growth of urban centers like Bulawayo town
- Promoted environmental conservation through forest reserves, and gazetting of national parks.
- It has promoted education and research in botany and zoology.