Nitrogen is generally regarded as the most important plant nutrient and is supplied in the form of urea.
Importance of nitrogen in rice plant
- generally associated with carbohydrate metabolism.
- required for vigorous vegetative growth
- an important constituent of chlorophyll.
- Stunted growth
- Yellowing of leaves and tillers
- Reduced tillering
SOURCES OF NOTROGEN TO RICE PLANT
- Nitrogen applied as fertilizer
- Nitrogen fixation by non-symbiotic organisms
- Nitrogen resulting from the mineralization of organic matter in the soil
- Nitrogen present in irrigated water and rainfall