Wheat was introduced in Kenya by Lord Delamere around Nakuru.
Main wheat Growing Areas in kenya
a) Uasin Gishu District
e) Trans Nzoia
h) Mweiga in Nyeri
the following are problems facing wheat farming in Kenya
- Farmers have inadequate capital to buy inputs which lowers the yields.
- Pests such as dusty brown beetle which eat stem damaging the plant.
- Diseases such as fungal stem rust which attack the stem.
- Price fluctuations on the domestic market especially when selling through middlemen.
- Shortage of storage facilities because the produce is transported to straight to NCPB before it sells it.
- Climatic hazard such as stormy rains which flattens the crop leading to rotting and drought which may destroy entire crop.
- Soil exhaustion due to monoculture.