The following were the effects of the establishment of local government in colonial Kenya
- Maintenance of law and order through a small police force set up in 1896.
- Arbitration of African disputes through the District African Courts.
- Exploitation of local resources and initiatives in development..
- The 1906 Indian police act, which established a police force for the Kenya colony.
- Development of infrastructure and the general welfare of the African sector.
- Creation of a link between the central government and the local people.