The following are disadvantages of the multiparty system.
- Multipartism tends to divide the people on tribal, regional and sectarian line.
- It tends to sharpen the struggle for personality and group dominance rather than policy implementation.
- Multipartism is a foreign system, which does not conform to the aspirations of independent Africa.
- It encourages the politics of destabilization.
- Political statements deadlocks on debates and tensions become too common.
- Decisions take too long to be made and implemented.
- Encourages use of violence in a state since opposition party members will be regarded as traitors by the government. The government will be regarded as oppressors by the opposition.