Linguistics, i.e. the scientific study of languages by tracing the principles of language change and establishment of the current genealogical classification of a particular language.
advantages of Linguistics as a source of information on History
- It provides information about the movements of the people and their relationships.
- It helps to establish theories of origin, migration and settlement of various communities.
- They compliment oral traditions and other sources of historical information.
- it is useful in dating people‟s migration.
- Through Linguistics, historians discover previously unknown links between different people.
disadvantages of linguistics as a source of information on History
- Delayed acquisition of information since it takes long to learn a particular language.
- Some words could be omitted or distorted while translating the language.
- Various languages may have similar words but with different meanings.
- The borrowing of words might corrupt or interfere with the parent-language.
- Some languages have become extinct