Genetics is the scientific study of heredity and the variation of inherited characteristics
advantages of Genetics as a source of information on History
- We learn how human beings adapted to their environment and utilized available land and animals to meet their needs.
- We get to know how characteristics are passed from parents to their offsprings.
- We study the appearance, domestication, and movement of plants and people whose economy plants are part of.
- Through Genetic study, botanists come up with new and more suitable crops that can resist diseases and withstand various climatic conditions.
- We get to know where most plant varieties are.
- We distinguish persons and indicate some relationships among people of various communities.
Disadvantages of Genetics as a source of information on History
- It is expensive.
- Researchers may not adapt to new environments due to health and other risks.
- It is technologically demanding as it requires a lot of sophisticated material and equipment.
- It is time-consuming. Apart from much fieldwork, one spends a lot more time training before becoming a Genetics specialist