Eco-tourism is environmentally friendly tourism or tourism emphasizing environmental conservation where tourists and local communities are involved in enjoying nature as well as conserving it
Characteristics of Ecotourism
- Tourists are guided along marked trails instead of driving to the areas where there are animals.
- Telescopic viewing of animals to avoid disturbing animals.
- Use of camping sites rather than big tourist hotels so as not to put pressure on resources which animals depend on.
- Prohibiting off road driving and travelling by foot.
- Allowing particular types of vehicles.
- Warning people against throwing cigarette remains on dry vegetation.
Its encouraged by:
- Creating awareness among the local communities to understand and appreciate nature by visiting Game parks.
- The local community directly benefits from income from tourism which provides them with incentive to conserve wildlife.