Types of communication
People communicate with each other in many ways depending on the message and the context of interaction.
There are mainly two types of communication, based on the channel used. These are verbal communication and non verbal communication
Verbal Communication: Verbal communication refers to a type of communication in which the message is communicated verbally, through speaking and/or writing. Thus, verbal communication is further divided into oral and written communication.
Nonverbal communication. Nonverbal communication is a type of communication that does not involve words. It involves body language, such as gestures, posture, tone of voice, and facial expressions.
Importance of communication
- Communication serves the following purposes, among many others:
- It helps people to get information for planning and decision making.
- In working places, it enables employees understand their tasks/duties.
- It provides information about the organization and its services or products.
- It increases job satisfaction.
- It ensures consistency in performance.