1) The year 2016 was the warmest year since record-keeping began in 1880.
2) The global average surface temperature last year was 0.94°Chigher than the 20th century average and July was the warmest month ever recorded.
3) Two phenomena were responsible for this.
4) One was climate change and other was El Nino.
5) Previously 2014 was the warmest year and the record was broken in 2015 and subsequently now in 2016 showing a continuous rise in the earth’s temperature.
6) This is only the second time that the annual temperature record has been broken three years in a row.
7) The previous trio was during World War II.
8) All 16 years in our current century rank among the 17 warmest on record.