Skip to content
Ways in which floods affect people.
- People are displaced.
- Disrupts transport and communication system.
- Causes soil water logging which lowers crop production.
- Leads to loss of property and lives.
- Creates stagnant water in which disease causing micro-organisms breed e.g. Mosquitoes, Bilharzia snails.
- Floods disrupt farmers calendar/wash away crops/leads to food shortages.
Methods through which floods can be controlled.
- Construction of dams to check the velocity and volume of rivers downstream.
- Construction of dykes which restrict the outflow of rivers / raised river
- Construct diversion channels to realign meanders and restrict flow of river / drain flooded areas.
- Planting of vegetation / forests in the river catchment areas to Reduce the surface run-off and increase seepage.
- – Clearing of drainage systems / dredging / deepening and widening to facilitate
- Easy flow of water.