Biomass Refers to the total organic matter found on the earth’s surface in terms of plants and animals
These plant/animal matter can be converted into energy by biological and thermochemical processes
The main sources of biomass energy are agricultural wastes
Animal waste such as cow dung and human waste is used to produce biogas
a combustible gas generated by the fermentation of organic matter e.g. cow dung
Biogas can be used as cooking gas and in refridgerators
Advantages of biomass energy
- Inexhaustible as long as there is organic matter.
- Available throughout the world.
- Cheap because uses waste products.
- Production doesn’t require advanced technology
Disadvantages of biomass energy
- Cannot be transported over longer distances.
- Contributes to global warming (pollution) if burnt directly.
- Requires large spaces for construction of the bio-digesters