Wave energy results from strong sea waves set in motion by wind
Are common in high-pressure belts/mid-latitude regions
Are used to produce electricity
In places with high sea tides mills with turbines are set up to be driven by the tides to produce energy/electricity
Advantages of wave and tidal energy
Cheap as tides and waves are free of charge
Disadvantages wave and tidal energy
- Available only in countries with sea/coasts
- Production limited to strong waves/tides.
- Generating plants may be destroyed by hurricanes/tsunamis.
- Inadequate technology for their development.
- Initial development costs are prohibitive