Is a fossil fuel that consists of gaseous and liquid hydrocarbons from animal and vegetation matter laid down in sedimentary rocks
Used in agriculture, cooking, lighting, and heating
When refined several bi-products are realized e.g. petrol, diesel, paraffin, bitumen, liquified gas, and lubricants
Petrol and diesel are used to fuel vehicles and machinery
Advantages of fossil fuel
- Occurs in great abundance as new oil deposits are being disocvered daily.
- Has wide range of domestic and industrial uses.
- Can be used to generate other sources of energy e.g. thermal electricity.
- Can be transported by tankers/pipelines and stores for future use
Disadvantages of petrol and diesel
- Crude oil is bulky.
- Dangerous because highly inflammable.
- Burning of petroleum pollutes the environment/leads to global warming.
- Petroleum is relatively expensive/not affordable to many.
- Prospecting of petroleum is expensive