Formed from tiny marine organisms called coral polyps
Coral polyps live in colonies.
They extract from sea water, calcium and use it to build protective shells
When they die their skeletons pile together and are commented together by calcareous algae to form a ridge like rock parallel to the shore called coral reef.
Coral reefs include fringing reefs barrier reefs and a toll.
Significance of coral coast to Kenya
- Rias have been used to develop habours
- Most resultant land forms are tourists attractions sites
- Some Rias are habitat for marine life which promotes fishing industry
- Coral rock is a raw material for cement industry
- Most of landforms have promoted education and research.