The following Problems Facing the Tana River Projects
- Shortage of capital to purchase spare parts has interfered with the maintenance of machinery in the powerhouse.
- Fluctuation of the water levels of R. Tana because of drought in the catchment areas and evaporation because of flowing through the dry Nyika region which affects power generation.
- Siltation of dams which occasionally blocks the tailrace tunnels leading to a low
the volume of water and dredging is required which is expensive.
- Inadequate skills and technology causes failure to maximize on power
Benefits of Tana River Projects
- The reservoirs provide power for irrigation and domestic use.
- The dams promote transport by serving as bridges across the rivers.
- The dams are a tourist attraction e.g. Masinga tourist lodge provides recreational facilities.
- The dams provide fresh water fisheries.
- The projects have generated employment to people thus raising their standard of living.