The following are the Roles of water transport in economic development
- Promotes fishing due to easy movement on water bodies.
- Promotes agriculture by linking agricultural islands to market areas e.g. Kalangala.
- Promotes lumbering by helping in the distribution of timber products.
- Promotes cross border trade between the East African countries hence increasing revenue.
- Promotes regional co-operation amongst the East African countries which promotes peace.
- Provides government with revenue through custom duties for national development.
- Provides employment opportunities e.g. engineers, patrol officials hence improved standards of living.
- Promotes industrial growth through the distribution of industrial goods to international market centers.
- Promotes tourism by connecting to all tourist sites in the island areas e.g. Kalangala.